Our citywide network of park friends groups usually host hundreds of cleanups in the spring and summer to keep our parks clean and green, but many of those events have been canceled due to COVID-19. At the same time, our parks are being used more than ever, so we're inviting everyone to pitch in and help out by doing those cleanups solo!
There are several ways to participate. You can simply use your own supplies to clean up trash and litter, request a kit via mail, or pick one up during a giveaway event (see below). Please consider helping us make our supplies last longer by donating $35 to cover the cost of one cleanup kit!
- Work gloves
- Trash bags
- Fairmount Park Conservancy bandanna
- City of Philadelphia mask
- Safety instructions and cleanup guidelines
- The first 60 people to sign up will also receive a trash grabber - sold out!
- Visit your favorite Philly park, or one of the trash hot spots, and collect any trash and litter you see into your bag.
- Tie off trash bags and set them next to a park trash can to be collected or dispose in a trash can, if space allows
- Please also consider taking the trash home with you and putting it out for your regular weekly collection
- Post a photo of your filled trash bag(s) on social media
- Use #loveyourpark and tag @myphilly @philaparksandrec
- Don’t forget to include the name of the park
- Wear a mask & gloves at all times. Never pick up trash with your bare hands!
- Stay at least six feet from others.
- Use hand sanitizer or wash your hands immediately after removing gloves.
- Dispose of single-use gloves properly; wash reusable work gloves between uses.
- Remember that facilities and public restrooms remain closed.
- Stay home if you experience COVID-19 symptoms, or if you have had close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days. Symptoms include cough, fever, shortness of breath, fatigue, chills, headache, sore throat, muscle pain, new loss of taste or smell, and diarrhea (Know the symptoms.)
Allen Rue wrote on March 22nd, 2021
I am glad the volunteer time tracking sheet is back open. It gets me motivated to get out there and beautify our Philly lands.
Leah Press wrote on August 30th, 2020
I would like to have the cleanup kit mailed to me as i eas not able to picck it up on thurs
Martha Lutz wrote on August 26th, 2020
Hi! Are you still giving out kits tomorrow at Concourse Lake? I’m not sure how to register. Thanks!
Love Your Park wrote on August 14th, 2020
Hi everyone! Just a reminder that if you weren't able to snag a trash grabber from us (they went to so fast!), you could consider getting one from Garbo Grabber: https://www.garbograbber.com/shop Use discount code PHILLY15 to get 15% off, and 5% will be donated back to Fairmount Park Conservancy. Save your back!
Allen Rue wrote on August 14th, 2020
Thanks for the grabber. It worked better than I thought. It will certainly help me develop grip strength. My right hand is tired out. :-)
Irene Russell wrote on August 11th, 2020
Stinger Square is in!!! Thanks guys!!!
Denise Logan wrote on July 30th, 2020
Fisher park in Olney is in desperate need of a thourogh cleaning.Are there any groups scheduled? If not I am requesting materials asap.Thanks
Richard Guffanti wrote on June 30th, 2020
So far, we have done 19 Saturday Cobbs Creek Park cleanups this year. We get an average of 2 volunteers. Contact me if you want to help: RichGuffanti@yahoo.com